Skip navigation

Empty Homes

Previously Empty Home

Sedgemoor District Council and West Somerset Council is pleased to announced a new Empty Homes Scheme in partnership with Somerset Care and Repair, a not-for-profit organisation, who can assist with helping to bring the property back into use, leasing it from you and managing it on completion.

In certain circumstances a grant, up to a maximum of £15,000, may be available, only through this scheme, to help bring the property into a habitable condition, please see the pdf leaflet for further information.

Somerset Care and Repair can be contacted on of telephone 01749 345379

Alternatively you can apply for an individual empty property loan of up to £30,000 @4%, should you wish to carry out the works yourself, please contact us for further information.

The Local Authority cannot give out a list of empty properties which have private owners, however there are various places you can go if you are looking to buy an empty property.

  • Speak to estate agents. Many have properties on their books that they have not been able to sell and do not widely advertise because they are renovation projects.
  • Land Registry (external link) Most homes (although not all) are registered with the Land Registry. For a small fee, you can search this database and download details of home owners when investigating a specific empty property.
  • Homes From Empty Homes (external link) (Formally known as Empty Homes Agency) An independent campaigning charity which gives advice on how to bring empty homes back into use.
  • Renovate Alerts (external link) Specifically designed for people looking to buy property in need of work, renovation or modernisation.
  • SAVE (Historic Empty Property Charity) (external link) A national charity which campaigns to bring empty historical homes back into use. The charity often advertises properties in need of a new owner and publishes a list of historical properties at risk around the country.
  • If you need advice on whether you require planning or building regulations please take a look at the planning interactive site - Planning Portal (external link) or contact your local authority.

If you are interested in a loan product then you can contact us on:

phone: 0300 303 7794


Powered by GOSS iCM
©  Somerset West Private Sector Housing Partnership